Friday 20 January 2012

Getting Euros



Yesterday morning Nicole and I went to open a French bank account, which wasn't an easy process. We finally found a bank where people  kind of spoke English, called BNP Paribas, and we found that they have an agreement with our school. This agreement basically gives us 50 euros for signing up with them and doesn't charge any fees at all throughout the semester. Pretty good deal. So, when we went in for our appointment we were, of course, greeted by a lovely lady who scorned us for not speaking French, asking us what we are doing in France without speaking the language. Of course, she said this all en francais, but I had no doubt what she was saying. Her body language and tone said it all.
That's been the most frustrating thing so far: being able to understand (somewhat) what people are saying, and not being able to say anything back. That angry lady had a valid point though, I need to make a better effort to learn the language here.

I know how weird and frustrating it is sometimes back in Canada when I meet people from Quebec who can't speak a word of English, or at least refuse to do so. So, I understand where this angry madame was coming from...
Anyways, the lady who helped us out with opening our accounts actually did speak fluent English which was a huge relief. Hopefully our debit cards will be sent in the mail in the next week or so. My friend Ben and Ryan said that their cards didn't work once they came, so I'm hoping our cards work!
So right now, considering I'm down to my last 100 cash euros and my Visa card, I should really try and limit my spending. However, this will be tough because I am going to Milan for the weekend. One of the shopping capitals of the world. No big deal.
So, my next blog post will be about being in Italy, which kind of goes against the point of this blog, but oh well! Hopefully you all won't mind.

A bientot! Have a great weekend!
xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment